#throwbackthursday to…school dinners! and whilst on the subject, who remembers having pineapple upside down cake for dessert? 🙋🏻♀️
i had an organic pineapple delivered in my @abelandcole box this week, so i thought i’d get a bit creative with it and use it for some nostalgic baking. 🍍
this recipe is gluten-free and vegan, but you can use substitutes for many of the ingredients.
ingredients (serves 8)
* ½ a pineapple 🍍, peeled and roughly chopped
* 60g coconut oil
* 200ml unsweetened almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
* juice of ½ a lemon
* 6 tablespoons maple syrup
* ½ tsp of vanilla extract
* pinch of salt
* 150g almond flour or almond meal
* 150g of gluten-free flour
* 2 heaped tsps of baking powder
* ¼ tsp of bicarbonate of soda
1. preheat your oven to 180ºc (fan-assisted).
2. lay out the pineapple slices along the bottom of a greased round baking tin lined with baking paper.
3. melt the coconut oil in a bowl and add to it the milk, lemon juice, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and ground almonds.
4. sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
5. mix well and transfer the mixture to the baking tin, making sure the pineapple slices are completely covered by the batter.
6. bake in the oven for around 30 minutes until risen and golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
7. leave to cool completely in the tin. once ready, turn out onto a plate or cake stand by placing the plate or cake stand upside down on top of the baking tin and quickly flipping it over.
8. decorate as you wish! i used pomegranate seeds.