Today we’re taking a quick tour through catalan and spanish delights for another international edition of saturday eats!
we’ve been walking miles on end and snacking often during this vacation, much to the delight of the kids. they’ve been loving the gazpacho, crispy baguette sandwiches, homemade pastas and oven-fired pizzas we’ve found all over this city.
barcelona is both a foodie town and an eclectic buffet for fans of everything from mexican to japanese cuisine. we loved la boqueria market, where we drank coconut pineapple milk, and ate dragonfruit and olives.
i have to say, though, that the tapas are the best. anchovies anointed with spicy oil, foie gras, manchego and more.
You know what they say, when life gives you lemons 🍋 ...
[but by “lemons,” i mean peaches 🍑 and by “life” i mean a lovely elderly gentleman 👴🏻 who came into work today.]...
...make grilled flatbreads topped with goat cheese, caramelized onions, and grilled 🍑peaches, drizzled with balsamic vinegar. 😍
i was in a bit of a rush so it wasn’t as pretty as i intended it to be 🤷🏼♀️, but it made for a delicious summer ☀️ dinner, accompanied by grilled chicken and steamed 🥦 broccoli. a little sweet, a little tangy, and a lot of yummy 😋
I was at the market today and stumbled across green cauliflower, which i don't find too often. a hybrid of the normal white cauliflower you typically find, this one has a sweeter, yet nutty flavor and is jam-packed with antioxidants and phytonutrients that can protect against cancer as well as aid in weight loss and digestion. i was super inspired to create a veggie-filled lunch, but with a mediterranean twist. check out the recipe below for my veggie tzatziki bowl!
for the bowl:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1/2 eggplant
- 1/2 cup green cauliflower
- 1/2 zucchini
- preheat oven to 375 degrees and line your baking sheet with olive oil spray.
- prepare your quinoa according to package. quinoa typically uses one cup of quinoa to two cups water and takes about 15 minutes.
- cut the eggplant and zucchini into slices, not too thin, not too thick, and break up the cauliflower until you have about five or six small florets.
- lay the veggies out onto the baking sheet and top with a pinch of salt and pepper. place in oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- when veggies and quinoa are done, place them in a bowl over a bed of arugula.
for the tzatziki:
- 2 cups plain green yogurt
- 1/2 english cucumber
- 1/8 cup fresh dill
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of crushed black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 garlic cloves